Learn More About SHAKEOLOGY »

Friday, May 28, 2010

Look into my eyes......




Some days I feel like the guy on that old Dunkin' Donuts commercial..."time to make the donuts". During the week, I have the same schedule - I wake up, workout, go to work, come home, make dinner, spend time with Jimmy, go to bed. That being said and me being the creature of habit that I am, I usually take the same path in and out of the office.

And I've noticed something lately and I can't tell if I find it funny or sad - people today are scared of eye contact.

I work in a large office building and so I pass people to and from the gym and to and from the parking garage and it's odd how people will all of a sudden stare at the most random things not to look someone else in the eye.

I'm not sure why that is. Where did things take a turn? Are we as a society becoming that desensatized that we don't even like to make that brief connection with someone else.

Why don't people like to look you in the eye? Are they scared you'll beat them up, hypnotize them, turn them into stone, sell them something, or worse - say hello?!?!

I'm usually a pretty reserved person, but lately, through my personal development reading, I'm learning to be a little more outgoing. So now it's like a game to me.

(say this part like the people on the National Geographic channel!!) I enter the hallway and spot the person at the very end of the hall. I go undetected for a few moments and then they see me. Mild panic comes over them. As we move closer, all of a sudden the walls, marble floors and plants become works of art to be admired. I keep my eyes focused on them, waiting for just a glance. I say good morning with a smile and we pass each other. Every once in a while I'll get the courtesy nod and half smirk - I probably scared them by speaking to them! Even by saying hello they continue to set their gaze elsewhere!

And I've also noticed that people tend to walk with their heads down. Are their brains so full of stuff that they can't hold their heads up or is it a sign of low self esteem?

I think that some people are just beat down. It's a shame that so many people are stuck in jobs they hate and aren't able to just do what they're passionate about. The world would probably have far fewer problems if people could just do all of the stuff listed in the "Hobbies" section of their resumes!

I challenge each of you to take steps to free yourself of the things in your life that beat you down and make you unhappy. If you don't like your job, figure out what you'd rather be doing and make a plan to put it into action. If you need help with this, let me know - I can help you get your time back so you can do those "hobbies" full time!!!

0 comments: